For the 2018 model year, the Nissan Maxima once again receives additional enhancements to its award winning design. Now in its eighth generation, which was completely revised just two years ago, Nissan's flagship sedan features standard Android Auto (in addition to standard Apple CarPlay), a revised color palette including new Carnelian Red color and a new black accent added to its dramatic V-motion grille.
In addition, the popular Maxima SR Midnight Edition package features revised content -- including the advanced Intelligent Driver Alertness (I-DA)1 system previously available only on the Maxima Platinum grade, making it an even better value than before.
Also, the 2018 Maxima carries over the late 2017 model year additions of standard Intelligent Forward Collision Warning (I-FCW) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)2 on all grade levels. Automatic Emergency Braking can engage when there is a possibility of a forward collision with vehicles in front.
Maxima again is the standard bearer of Nissan's bold design language. It presents a distinctive upscale look with a unique combination of a lower profile and a wide stance, a bold front end with Nissan signature V-Motion grille and a 'floating roof' appearance. The dramatic lighting features define its presence on the road with boomerang-style headlights and taillights, LED daytime running lights and two-piece taillights. Large dual exhaust tailpipe finishers and 18-inch machined-finished aluminum-alloy wheels (19-inch wheels on the Maxima SR grade) complement the look. For 2018, Maxima is available in six exterior colors, including two premium finish colors -- Pearl White and the new Carnelian Red.
The stunning Maxima interior design is anchored by a command central driver's cockpit that features optimal reach to all controls and a center stack angled toward the driver. The Display Commander control, located on the console, allows fingertip control of the center display. The bespoke-style interior offers genuine stitching on the instrument panel, doors and console, available LED Interior Accent Lighting, available Ascot premium leather seating surfaces with diamond-quilted inserts (also available in Alcantara), unique faceted finishers and a sporty D-shape (flat-bottom) steering wheel.
In addition, luxury-level interior quietness is enabled by an available Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system that works much like noise cancelling headphones, helping reduce unpleasant low-frequency sounds. An Active Sound Enhancement (ASE) system, which works by enhancing existing engine sound from the 3.5-liter V6 into the cabin (Bose audio equipped models only), is standard on SV, SR and Platinum grades.
Available technology features include standard NissanConnect with Navigation featuring Apple CarPlayÔ and Android AutoÔ. The system includes an 8.0-inch touch-screen display, along with SiriusXM Satellite Radio and SiriusXM Travel Link applications (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately), Streaming audio via Bluetooth, Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant, Nissan Voice Recognition for navigation and audio and two front illuminated USB connection ports for iPod interface and other compatible devices. For 2018, a pair of rear USB charge ports is also added on SL, SR and Platinum grades.
The navigation system also features 'swipe to meter' functionality, which allows the driver to swipe the navigation map from the center display to bring it up in the standard 7.0-inch Advanced Drive Assist Display (ADAD) within the instrument cluster.
Maxima Platinum models include standard NissanConnect with Navigation and Services featuring Apple CarPlayÔ and Android AutoÔ. The system's wide range of features includes automatic collision notification, remote start via smartphone, emergency call, stolen vehicle locator and more (six-month free trial; subscription required, sold separately).
The standard 3.5-liter VQ-series V6 engine applies lessons learned from the legendary GT-R, such as sodium-filled valves, to meet needs of the higher compression ratio and combustion temperatures. With 300 horsepower, it achieves a high specific output (HP/L) of 85.7 horsepower/liter. Complementing the 3.5-liter V6 is a performance-oriented Xtronic transmission featuring a wide ratio range, which allows for strong acceleration from a standing start, and a D-Step shifting logic that provides rapid shifts at high throttle openings.
The refined Maxima handling and ride comfort starts with a 4-wheel independent suspension with monotube rear shock absorbers. The sporty Maxima SR grade features unique suspension damper tuning, a larger front stabilizer bar and 19-inch wheels and tires to add even more performance.
The 2018 Maxima also offers an extensive range of safety, security and driving aids, including standard Intelligent Forward Collision Warning (I-FCW) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), and available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Blind Spot Warning (BSW). Maxima also offers an available Intelligent Driver Alertness (I-DA)2 system, which learns each individual driver's steering patterns and helps alert the driver when drowsy or inattentive driving is detected (Platinum and SR Midnight Edition).
The 2018 Maxima is available in five well-equipped models: Maxima S, SV, SL, SR and Platinum.
Highlights of the 2018 Nissan Maxima include:
- Offers the authentic presence of a sports car in a 4-door sedan
- Features authentic sports car cues through low and wide proportions, powerful body sculpting, flared fenders and available machined-finish 19-inch wheels
- Floating roof appearance echoes the canopy of a fighter jet
- Powerful black-accented V-Motion front grille
- Automatic on/off halogen headlights, available LED projector headlights
- LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
- Standard fog lights, LED rear parking lights
- Available outside mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Available auto-dimming driver's side outside mirror, outside mirrors with tilt-down feature
- Available Dual Panel Panoramic Moonroof with rear power retractable sunshades
- Dual chrome exhaust finishers
- Available premium and sport rear spoilers
- Laminated glass on the windshield and front door windows
- Six available exterior colors: Super Black, Brilliant Silver, Gun Metallic, Deep Blue Pearl, Pearl White and new Carnelian Red
Engine and Driveline
- Front engine/front-wheel drive
- Advanced 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 rated at 300 horsepower @ 6,400 rpm and 261 lb-ft torque @ 4,400 rpm
- High specific output of 85.7 hp/liter
- Performance-oriented Xtronic transmission with wide ratio range, D-step shift logic, Adaptive Shift Control (which includes G-sensor) and unique Sport mode tuning
- Available paddle shifters (SR grade only)
- Drive Mode Selector (Sport and Normal modes) adjusts engine throttle response, steering feel and transmission tuning
- Maxima SL, SR and Platinum grade Drive Mode Selector also includes Active Sound Enhancement (ASE) tuning
- SR grade includes Intelligent Dynamics-control Module (IDM) tuning
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Redesigned platform featuring extensive use of high strength steel, including the first use of 1.2GPa high strength steel in a Nissan sedan, for 82-pound weight reduction and 25 percent increase in torsional rigidity (over the previous generation)
- Independent subframe-mounted strut/coil spring front suspension
- Independent multi-link double wishbone rear suspension
- ZF Sachs monotube rear shock absorbers
- Front (26.0 mm) and rear (26.5 mm) stabilizer bars
- 4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes, standard 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- 18-inch machined finish aluminum-alloy wheels with painted inserts, 245/45R18 all-season tires
- Available 19-inch machined aluminum-alloy wheels with Goodyear 245/40R19 all-season tires (SR model)
- Available 19-inch gloss black aluminum-alloy wheels with center caps (Midnight Edition)
- Driver-oriented cockpit inspired by fighter jets
- Console tilted seven degrees towards the driver (as in the Nissan GT-R)
- Standard NissanConnect with Navigation featuring Apple CarPlayÔ and Android AutoÔ, with 8.0-inch capacitive color display with smartphone-like controls (swipe and pinch-to-zoom) and swipe-to-meter functionality; SiriusXM Traffic and SiriusXM Travel Link (fuel prices, weather, movie listings, stock info, sports) (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately); Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant
- Available NissanConnect Navigation and Services featuring Apple CarPlayÔ and Android AutoÔ, offering automatic collision notification, remote start1 via smartphone, emergency call, stolen vehicle locator (six-month free trial; subscription required, sold separately)
- Standard Streaming audio via Bluetooth
- Two front illuminated USB connection ports for iPod interface and other compatible devices
- Two rear USB ports (charge only) (SL, SR, Platinum grades)
- Nissan Voice Recognition for navigation and audio
- Standard 7.0-inch Advanced Drive Assist Display (in-meter display)
- Standard Display Commander for interface control of center display functions
- NASA-inspired Zero Gravity front seats
- 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat, 4-way power-adjustable front passenger's seat
- Available power passenger seat lifter (Platinum grade only)
- Available premium Ascot Leather-appointed seats with diamond-quilted inserts (Alcantara diamond-quilted inserts on SR model)
- Available heated front seats
- Available Climate-controlled (heated and cooled) front seats
- Standard rear 60/40 split fold-down rear seat
- Flat-bottom D-shaped leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Available heated steering wheel
- Genuine stitching on instrument panel, upper door panels and console
- Power door locks, power windows with driver and passenger auto-up/down feature; available rear window auto-up/down feature
- Available LED Interior Accent Lighting (under instrument panel and door finishers)
- Available advanced Bose premium audio system with 11 speakers and Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)
- Standard HD Radio
- Standard SiriusXM Satellite Radio (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately)
- Standard Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System
- Standard RearView Monitor
- Standard Nissan Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition (with 'pulse' illumination logic)
- Standard HomeLink Universal Transceiver
- Standard Remote Engine Start3 with Intelligent Climate Control
- Three available interior colors: Charcoal, Cashmere (except SR) and Camel (SR only)
Maxima SR Exclusive Features
- Sport-tuned suspension with monotube rear dampers with unique damper tuning and a larger stabilizer bar in the front
- Solid roof panel (no available moonroof) -- helps lower the center of gravity and further enhance torsional rigidity
- Alcantara seating inserts and steering wheel insert for high-grip at key touch points
- Integrated Dynamic-control Module (IDM) system with Intelligent Ride Control (I-RC), Intelligent Trace Control (I-TC) and Intelligent Engine Brake (I-EB)
- Liquid Chrome finishers
- Paddle shifters
- Aluminum sport pedals
- 19-inch machined aluminum-alloy wheels with specially-developed Goodyear 245/40R19 all-season tires
Safety, Security and Driving Aids
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with supplemental front air bags with seat belt sensors and an occupant classification sensor
- Front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags with rollover sensor
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver's seat ELR only) including rear center position
- Front seat belts with adjustable upper anchors, pretensioners, and load limiters
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- Emergency inside trunk-release
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Easy-Fill Tire Alert
- Standard Intelligent Forward Collision Warning (I-FCW)
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)
- Available Intelligent Driver Alertness (I-DA)1 system
- Standard Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)2
- Available Blind Sport Warning (BSW) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Available class-exclusive Intelligent Around View Monitor (I-AVM)
Models and Manufacturing
- Offered in five well-equipped models: Maxima S, SV, SL, SR and Platinum
- Assembled by Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd, Tennessee Plants
# # #
1. It is the driver's responsibility to remain alert at all times. I-DA is only a warning to inform the driver of a potential lack of driver attention or drowsiness. It does not detect and provide an alert in every situation. See Owner's Manual for details.
2. AEB cannot prevent accidents due to carelessness or dangerous driving techniques. It may not provide warning or braking in certain conditions. Speed limitations apply.
3. State laws may apply; review local laws before using.